bad credit car loans

Friday, September 7, 2007

Really?

I know I shouldn't get upset by these hot-button political issues that are designed purely to distract us from the real problems, but I was reading today that my home state of Iowa is actually looking at passing a gay marriage ban.

I know most of the country looks down upon the Midwest as being rural, "behind", and a little backwards. In my 26 years growing up there, I saw a lot more education, open-mindedness, and tolerance, in general, than I have seen here in Seattle.

It makes me sick to think that people are honestly concerned enough by who others sleep with that they want to write legislation restricting the lives of others. Honestly, the point at which my concern over who sleeps with who ends when I am not directly involved (this may change for a bit when I have kids, but hey). I only care who people want to sleep with if they want to sleep with me. Why is that not enough for everyone?

The state of Iowa was a good place to grow up, but after hearing for twenty years how they want to change their image in the eyes of the nation, I've seen them put up travel commercials lauding our agriculture, they put farms on their license plates, and they are actually moving towards enacting ridiculous puritanical laws that have no business on legal documents who's purpose is to protect rights.

Iowa, you make me sad.
-R

1 comment:

E. Morena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.